A no-holds-barred-cage-match arena of death for my ideas. Gladiators are all orphans of my brainmeats. Bets accepted at the window.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Random Setting Thoughts 1

While not everybody's cup of tea, I really enjoy and prefer "Everything in a Box" / "Kitchen Sink" settings. Perhaps it's simply due to being raised on comics, but I want settings where just about anything can happen.

And that's an important point in itself, as well as an important point of divergence from most EiaB settings. I don't necessarily want to play in / run / create a setting where everything does happen, just one where it seems anything can happen.

One thing I've always loved about the comics is that you can have supernatural monster hunters team up with aliens, mutants, and Arthurian knights, and all of them could go out and slay chupacabras, and it doesn't seem out of place.

I prefer genre blends to playing genres "straight," for lack of a better term. I have always loved pulp stories with their blends of adventure, fantasy, horror, and science fiction, narratives with porous membranes that are made of a bit of everything, difficult to classify but delightful to read.

I want settings that allow for just about any character a player can imagine, so long as the PC can work well with the group.

I want to work with an entire world over the course of a long campaign, moving from place to place, time to time, even planet to planet and dimension to dimension, with the players trying out a variety of characters, allowing for a variety of play styles, tones, and adventures in what is ostensibly the same setting, the same gaming "universe."

No comments: