A no-holds-barred-cage-match arena of death for my ideas. Gladiators are all orphans of my brainmeats. Bets accepted at the window.

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Fading Suns ... Savaged!

Well, I suppose it's time I used this space for something other than the equivalent of a webspace bookmark.

So what am I going to do with this LJ space?

If you guessed "something having to do with role playing games," give yourself a gold star.

Well let's see ...

I'm going to begin working up a campaign for my regular gaming group, as I am the next GM in the rotation and I'd like to have something substantial prepared before I take the reigns. To this end, I will be rereading the Fading Suns RPG, Revised Second Edition Rulebook once again to resolidify the campaign world / universe in my brain.



However, I don't particularly like the core system that the game uses, so I'll be converting and overhauling as much FS material as I can to the Savage Worlds system, one I'm particularly fond of.



I'm fairly notorious for pairing game universes with alternative systems, so I figure why spoil a good record?

When I ran the FS 2e system so many long years ago, I found it to be clunky and cumbersome. SW, on the other hand, lives up to its motto of "Fast, Furious, Fun"--it has sufficient crunch for those who really enjoy the actual game part of role playing game, with a variety of aspects to integrate and master. It includes cards, dice, and chips / counters in play, as well as a host of options, all of which boil down to a thankfully fast game in actual play, with a remarkably quick combat system that lets the gamers play with toys ... I mean, features fast tactical combat with miniatures. Yes, that's what I meant.

Best of all, SW reduces GM prep time and record keeping to a bare minimum, easily keeping pace in this area with a host of "rules-lite" games. This allows me to get on with other GMing essentials, rather than spending too much time statting everything out.

And all that for $9.99. That is a bargain for me!

Over time I'll probably use portions of this journal as a place to post campaign logs to keep everybody updated / reminded of what happened at given sessions.

But hell, I should also likely start posting book reviews and other stuff, just to keep it active.

For those interested in learning more about the Fading Suns universe, or are interested in getting a quick preview and Test Drive of the Savage Worlds system, click the links and enjoy.

That's it for now.

No comments: