A no-holds-barred-cage-match arena of death for my ideas. Gladiators are all orphans of my brainmeats. Bets accepted at the window.

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Towards a Science Fiction Campaign, Part 01

As is usual on Friday nights, I went to game with my friends. We're about to switch campaigns soon--next week we're wrapping up a D&D 3.5 campaign and embarking on an Exalted game. (We rotate among 4 GMs.)

In any event, the conversation turned toward what I'd be running next, and I think at least 2 of the 3 people then-present (I could be misremembering--it might have been all three) pressed upon me to run a science fiction / space opera campaign the next time I GM.*

Far be it from me to not give my players what they crave. While it's going to be a while until my turn comes up in the GM rotation--I'm guessing February to March at the absolute earliest--I have plenty of time to consider what I'm doing.

So how to go about it?

Well, if it's one thing I've learned over the years it's this: I really hate playing in other people's back yards. While I own a whole host of RPGs--enough to start my own RPG lending library, in fact--I really don't like running in prepackaged settings designed by others.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy RPGs. I enjoy reading them and playing them. I enjoy figuring out their systems and monkeying around with them.

But overall, I've discovered that it's rare that I purchase an RPG and end up actually playing it.

Yeah, that doesn't sound strange or anything.

I really enjoy buying generic RPG systems, and I actually get a lot of use out of them. I like systems with a toolkit design the best. I'm not a system designer; rather, I tend to read an RPG system, then monkey about with it, improve and tweak it. I don't build engines, I just enhance them for performance.

But I don't have the time or patience I had when I was younger and just discovering RPGs. I have a full-time job. I have a family. I have responsibilities. I don't have the time to invest in systems that are clunky or require voluminous amounts of reading. D&D, Hero, GURPS, all of these may have been options for me at one time, but no longer. I like my systems sleek, streamlined, and ready to run right out of the box. These days, I like BESM, D6, FATE, and Savage Worlds, and I'm curious about True20 and the reissue of HeroQuest (QuestWorlds).

As far as settings go, I notice that I tend to read RPG setting stuff for inspiration and entertainment rather than with any real desire to run a game in a given setting. I prefer to design my own settings, with their own tone, feel, and flavor.

So where is all this going?

I've been GMing and playing RPGs for 26 years now, but my first love, before fantasy, sf, horror, wuxia, literature, films, before all of that good stuff, is comics. I've been reading comics for 32 years now.

My good friend Tony sent me an interesting email recently, and I haven't been able to get it off of my mind. The email was an anecdote referred to by comics writer Matt Fraction, about the legendary comics creator Jack "The King" Kirby.

There's an anecdote at the end of the new Jack Kirby Fourth World Omnibus where Mark Evanier relays the story of an artist coming on the CAPTAIN AMERICA and announcing he intended to carry on in the Kirby Tradition. And then, Evanier tells us, Jack quipped in the raspy, apocryphal way he would quip about such things, that "The kid doesn't get it-- the Kirby Tradition is to create a new comic."

To me, that pretty much says it all.

I'm not dissing anybody else's creative efforts; far from it. I have thoroughly enjoyed the time I've spent reading about the events that occur in the Fading Suns and Tribe 8 universes, for example. But if I'm going to run something, if I'm going to put all that time and creativity into something, I want it to be something that I created, something that my brainmeat gave birth to, something that I'm invested in.

Moreover, when I design settings, I try to be sure that the players have input into the setting as well. In the RPG sessions, they are cocreators along with me in playing a game and spinning out a story. I figure that they should be in on the game creation, particularly the setting, from the ground floor.

So here's how it's going to be. I'm going to be building a setting step-by-step, getting input from the other group members, and putting it together here piece-by-piece. Then, when I've got a nice general idea of the setting, I'll choose a system to run it in.

Too many times (and I'm thinking of D&D as I say this, though there are certainly other systems that have the same problem), I've seen GMs feel that their game is constrained, even strangled, by a given system, that they have to bend and warp their settings and their games to fit a certain system. I'm a firm believer that the setting and the game you envision running should be of paramount importance, and that the system should fit the game and setting you want to run, that it should be flexible, adaptable, and easily modified as necessary to fit the game you want to play. And yes, this flexibility has to include the creativity and imagination of the players as well. Because the system, the game engine, is only one part of the game as a whole.

So once I've got the beginnings of a setting, I'll start fitting it onto the frame of a system, and figure out how to work all the nifty bits I and my players envision in the terms of that system.

I figure that if we're successful then we'll have created a game worth playing.

You know, in the Kirby tradition and all that.

*The two other players were out picking up food at the time--I should ask them what they think.

No comments: